DO YOU SUFFER FROM HORMONAL ACNE?
Discover the 5 Signs to Help you Find out.
Do you think hormonal acne is a skin problem affecting mainly young adolescents? Think again! Adult studies have found that acne affects more than 50% of women aged 20 to 29 and 25% of women aged 40 to 49. The cause? Hormonal fluctuations. Discover the signs that reveal if you are suffering from hormonal acne and a daily skin care routine to adopt in order to control the symptoms.
1. YOU HAVE PASSED THE AGE OF PUBERTY…
Acne is a very common skin condition during puberty. It usually improves after the period of adolescence when hormonal fluctuations play a large role. However, when it persists after puberty, acne can reveal hormonal imbalances in both men and women. For example, an excess of testosterone directly influences the activity of sebaceous oil producing glands. In general, men achieve hormonal stability in adulthood. In contrast, adult women experience continuous hormonal fluctuations related to their menstrual cycle or pregnancy. This is why acne lesions can occur in an adult woman who has never suffered from juvenile acne in adolescence.
2. …OR YOU HAVE REACHED THE STAGE OF MENOPAUSE
During menopause, female sex hormones such as oestrogen and progesterone diminish, leading to a cessation of menstruation. During this period, some women experience episodes of acne. Indeed, these eruptions are related to oestrogen levels that have significantly decreased, or more importantly, to a ratio of androgenic hormones, namely testosterone.
3. YOUR ACNE PIMPLES ARE ON THE LOWER PART OF YOUR FACE
During puberty, juvenile acne most often appears on the T-zone area of the face, especially on the forehead, nose and chin. Hormonal acne in adults, however, is most often seen on the lower part of the face, especially along the jaw and chin line. The sebaceous glands are numerous on this part of the face and produce more sebum during significant hormonal fluctuations. With the accumulation of dead skin cells, this thick, viscous sebum clogs pores and contributes to the proliferation of the bacteria responsible for inflammatory acne lesions on this area of the face.
4. YOUR ACNE LESIONS ARE INFLAMED AND OCCUR CYCLICALLY
Hormonal acne reveals more than just blackheads. Inflammatory acne lesions such as papules, pustules or even deep and painful cysts appear on the face. In adult women, these lesions are often recurrent and occur cyclically. Indeed, female hormones fluctuate every month, even after menopause.
5. YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH A PERIOD OF STRESS
The stress hormone, known as cortisol, has the ability to upset the proper balance of your hormones and consequently induce acne lesions. Studies have also shown that stress exacerbates the severity of acne and decreases the healing time of lesions. This is why in times of stress; acne seems more visible and harder to heal.
HERE ARE THE STEPS FOR SKIN CARE TO BE CARRIED OUT IN ORDER TO CONTROL THE SYMPTOMS OF HORMONAL ACNE
2 TIMES PER DAY:
• Step 1: Clean your skin daily with a mild bacteriostatic cleanser containing prebiotics, without SLS or aggressive agents and that is non-comedogenic. This type of cleanser deep cleanses the pores and restores the balance of cutaneous microbial flora without destabilizing the physiological pH of the skin.
Nelly De Vuyst recommendations: Soft Net Cleansing Cream, Foaming Cleanser BioAcne, Cleansing Gel BioAcne.
• Step 2: After rinsing your skin, use a salicylic acid-based alcohol-free toner to rebalance the pH of your skin and dissolve excess sebum. This step is essential for maintaining optimal skin pH and preventing recurrence.
Nelly De Vuyst recommandations: pH Toner BioAcne.
• Step 3 : Use an anti-seborrheic serum or oil with antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and healing properties to reduce the severity of pimples and their recurrence. This type of skin care will help target bacteria, fluidize excess sebum and promote healing of acne lesions.
Nelly De Vuyst recommandations: Serum BioAcne, Hygia Multi-Use Oil.
• Step 4 : Finish your skincare routine with the application of a sebo-regulating and purifying skincare product that will maintain the daily hydration of the skin without leaving an oily finish.
Nelly De Vuyst recommandations: Oily Skin Gel-Cream, Purifying Cream Combination Skin.
2 TIMES PER WEEK :
• Eliminate excess dead skin cells and prevent build-up by using an exfoliating treatment such as Nelly De Vuyst’s 3 Minute Gommage.
• Perfect your acne skin care routine by using Nelly De Vuyst’s Purifying Mask or Mask BioAcne.
• For those experiencing stress, immerse yourself in a soaking bath with a cap full of Nelly De Vuyst’s Relaxing Bath to relieve everyday tension, lower your cortisol levels and offer yourself a moment of maximum relaxation.